How to reduce the way you snore while sleeping
Do you snore heavily while sleeping? Or is it your spouse that snores so loudly and severely affect your sleep quality? Are you already losing your calm and looking for ways to reduce how you snore to improve your sleep quality? Then, this article is really for you.
Snoring could be very unpleasant, irritating, and unattractive to deal with when it becomes a usual thing. More often than not, it is the resulting sound generated from the vibration of your respiratory structures when air movement is hindered while you sleep.
Most times, you snore because of a condition knows as obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), and initially, the sound can be soft until it becomes loud and unpleasant.
Going further with this article, I will be discussing how you can reduce the way you snore while sleeping.
Ways to reduce how you snore
There are several approaches you can use to reduce the way you snore. These strategies include personal self-help strategies, medical strategies, and strategies that may involve changing your lifestyle.
Below are the different approaches you can engage in to reduce how you snore while sleeping.
Personal self-help strategies
1. Raise your head with a pillow while sleeping: this is an excellent self-help strategy that can make you reduce the way you snore while sleeping. When in bed you should raise your head about four inches high with a specially designed pillow, and doing this eases your breathing as well as control the way you snore.
2. Alter your usual sleeping position: By sleeping more on your side rather than your back will reduce the way you snore. You can do this by wedging your back with a pillow stuffed with tennis balls. Doing this will bring in discomfort to your back when you change your sleeping position from side-ways to your back.
3. Keep your bedroom air moist: this is another self-help strategy you can employ to reduce the way you snore. Let your room be air moist because dry air irritates membranes in the nose and throat which invariably leads to snoring.
1.Somnoplasty: this is a therapeutic strategy you can use if you snore critically. This involves the use of low levels of radiofrequency heat to remove tissues that vibrate and cause you to snore. It is procedure takes about 30 minutes to perform, and it is carried out under local anesthesia.
2.Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP): this also goes a long way to reduce the way you snore. It involves you wearing a mask over your nose while pressurized air blows into it from a designed bedside machine.
Lifestyle changes strategies
1.Regular Exercise: this will apparently change your lifestyle, but its importance in reducing how you snore cannot be overemphasized. With regular exercise, you get to tone every muscle in your body including the ones in your throat which lead to a drastic reduction in how you snore. However, you have to pay more attention to exercises that directly affect the muscles in your throat.
2. Weight Reduction: the importance of this in reducing the way you snore cannot also be overemphasized. More so, in checking your weight, it will definitely rub on how you eat and what you eat.
3. Avoid frequent alcohol consumption and smoking: you have to cut down your alcohol intake and chronic smoking if you are someone given to such kind of lifestyle. Avoiding these things go a long way in reducing the way you snore.
All these highlighted strategies are not in any way exhaustive, however, by practising them, you will see an apparent reduction in how you snore.